I’ve set up multiple VMs under VMware who have the following roles:
A DNS under FreeBSD 9.1 Server amd64
A Jabber in DragonflyBSD 3.2 Server x86_64
A mail under DragonflyBSD 3.2 Server x86_64
A web server on CentOS 6.4 x86_64
FreeBSD and CentOS are well-behaved, however DragonflyBSD seems not to like VMware. Sometimes the boot does not, sometimes the system will freeze. At the time I write this post, the Jabber server does not, while the mail Yes. Which leaves me thinking that the VM Jabber has planted.
The management of ports (all systems * BSD confused) is in my opinion problematic, especially during the installation of software that replaces another in the base system (Postfix to Sendmail for example). DragonflyBSD embeds pkgin which facilitates the installation but not the configuration. Concrete case: I have installed Postfix on DragonflyBSD to replace Sendmail (because I know not at all). The configuration has gone well, mails reception work. On the other hand by installing fetchmail I realized that the system relied on Sendmail. But as the latter is not configured, messages were sent in a parallel dimension.
A Linux distribution as RPM or DEB packages seems much cleaner than the separation “world” and “port” found under FreeBSD and others. Under Debian Postfix installation completely remove Exim the likelihood of confusion is therefore reduced. Under FreeBSD and derivatives, unable to remove Sendmail (except by recompiling the world with good src.conf) may instead cause problems.
I still have to say that Pkgin is an excellent tool that allows to have a true management packages and their updates. Being implemented in NetBSD and DragonflyBSD he is required to evolve quite quickly. Some usage examples:
# pkgin update
# pkgin search postfix
# pkgin install postfix
# pkgin upgrade
If we stick to the base system, everything is much better. The implementation of Bind under FreeBSD is very correct and default chroot. The files are located in/var/named/etc/namedb but seen by the application as/etc/namedb. The implementation of my zone file went well, as well as adding a named.conf.local file called by an Include (yes I am too used to Debian and modular configuration files).
Cheers for new adventures.